13 May 2010

May frosts

One thing I wasn't expecting were frosts in the middle of May.

My poor little dwarf french beans are looking pretty sad after the last couple of nights. I'm not certain they are going to pick up and I'm hoping the temperature will improve so that I can get some more started.

The runner beans seem to be suffering the same ailment. Fortunately I only put the two biggest out and the rest are still in the greenhouse waiting to be introduced to their climbing cane.

Elsewhere, the peas and potatoes are doing very well and seem to be unbothered by the sudden drop in temperature.

When I was little my mother always used to say 'ne'er cast a clout till May is out' and I really think she was right!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

Followers

About Me

Forty something future eccentric. Novice beekeeper. Owned by cats. Loves frogs and pottering around the garden. Grows own food. Can be bought with chocolate.

Search This Blog